Sunday, April 20, 2014

Derby Hats

I don't care what horse wins the Kentucky Derby. I don't understand the book that everyone looks at the whole day full of names, numbers,colors and rankings. I pick the horses whose have pink on, or have a name I like.  Like many, my favorite part of Derby is looking at the hats.  Each year, I pick my dress out well in advance so I can make the perfect hat. That's right, MAKE. It's very simple to do. I know this because I don't have a creative bone in my body (unless I'm cooking) and I'm able to do it. Unfortunately, hats take up a lot of space so I'm selling my creations in order to clear out some closet space.


Hat 1 was my first and I didn't actually put it together. I had some (a lot) of help from the owner of a local boutique, Embellish. I bought the hat, ribbon and brought some red items into the shop but she had this red flower on a headband that was perfect. I'm selling this one for $35.

 
Year 2 I was a little more brave and bought everything and put it together myself.  I let a friend borrow the first years hat and someone actually wanted to buy it off her head! I was flattered but definitely wasn't going to sell it when I told her she could wear it! Pink and black is a favorite color combination of mine so I was really excited about this hat. I'm selling the pink hat for $40.


Year three is by far my favorite. I worked hard to get this one exactly how I wanted it and I loved how it turned out. I'm not sure how I'm going to top this one, but I've got some ideas! I've got this one for sale for $45.

I can't wait to get started on this years hat. I'll be sure to post pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment