Sunday, February 22, 2015

Craft Room (Work in Progress)

One of the best "problems" with my house is that I have too many bedrooms.  This house has two bedrooms downstairs (master and guest) and two bedrooms upstairs.  The bedrooms upstairs are small but they are two of the rooms that won me over when I first looked at the house.  You'll see in the pictures that the walls are all cut out cabinets and drawers.  Perfect for the craft room that I've always wanted. :)

I took one week off work when I first purchased the house to paint/move/etc.  Unfortunately, the upstairs bedrooms were put on the back burner (and still are) because the downstairs (living room, kitchen, master and guest rooms) took priority.  I've started designating a little bit of time to the upstairs rooms but the main thing I have NOT done...is paint.  The family that lived here before I did had kids so lime green made sense for them, not so much for me.  My goal is to eventually paint most of this room white, and possibly do the drawers an ombré gray and paint the inside of the shelf cutouts grey as well.  Unfortunately, this is a  project for down the road.  In the meantime, just getting this room organized has been quite a task.  Here's what I've got so far.



The chair on the left is there...because I don't know where else to put it.  It matches nothing and is getting pretty worn.  We'll pretend it's not there. :)  The sewing table and machines were my moms.  I don't have a flipping clue how to use them.  They've been in my dad's basement patiently waiting for me to buy a house and take the time to learn to sew.  My grandma says she'd like to come down from Vincennes and see my house one day and I'm hoping for a crash course.  The chair was a prototype from dad's old job. #free

This tower has been EVERYWHERE with me.  I'm shocked it's still it one piece.  The black line on the side is where it used to connect to a desk that did not survive the move from Purdue back to Vincennes.  My old boss gave me the desk, a friend's mom helped me "renew" the desk, and it's been moved about 8 times from moves in college and to grad school.  The ribbon holder on top was a Black Friday special at JoAnns a few years ago. I'd like to put buttons/safety pins etc in the jars below that.  The boxes (fabric covered shoe boxes) have various small craft items in them.  My laminator on the floor still needs a spot, but this isn't something I use very often.  The mirror was left behind by the previous owners.  I need to clean up the frame and decide if I want to paint it or not and find a good spot for it.





I'm only using about 4 of these drawers.  One has flowers for my derby hats, one has fabric, one has tissue paper, etc.  The rest are still empty. I actually have MORE storage space the junk to put in them!



Hats are extremely difficult to store.  I was hoping to make a bunch before Derby season but I'm not sure where I'd put them.  My scrapbooking/paper craft supplies are all kind of thrown in the last cubby.  I'm still working on a good way to store all of that. 

I didn't take a picture facing the door becuase it's just a closet.  Currently it's holding all my "outdoorsy" stuff like my bow, tackle box and tent (that I haven't used in 10 years). 

This room is still a work in progress.  I would really love to get rid of the green but upstairs painting probably won't happen for awhile.  I think there is a lot of potential for this space and I'm hoping to dedicate a little more time to organizing it before Summer hits.  We'll see. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment